Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Book cover vs the Content


                                            " And who do YOU, say I am? "

Someone called me an Oreo a few weeks ago.(For the record,I wasn't offended in the least bit!) If you don’t know what an Oreo is, type it in google, hit the search button and then  click images.

So, why did she call me an Oreo? Well, I was sprinkling cinnamon powder onto my buttered toast at a friend's house! What she meant was that I am black on the outside with a bit of white on the inside! In other words, she is saying, I am an African with a lot of western/mzungu tendencies.

I could see that. I mean, I always introduce myself as Tony. First name basis. Very American. A proper  African would emphasize their African names-be proud of their father, clan and tribe affiliations. I talk English with an accent-an American one (that's what my Kenyan friends say!). I can’t help that- been in North America for long periods at a time since I was 8 years old -I am not bragging, just stating facts! My favorite store is Target- it's American. My favorite clothing and shoe brand? Converse. American. My favorite restaurant? SubWay.American. My favorite type of music? Rock and Hip Hop-very American!

So, am I brainwashed African who thinks all Western things are superior? Am I another young black man with an identity crisis? Do I feel like I was born on the wrong continent? Am I plastic? Am I trying to sell an image and identity that I am not? Am I one thing on the outside and another on the inside? You be the judge.

I like what I like and I hate what I hate. I don’t take time worrying about what people think or say- I just live out my life. I am a straight shooter. I call a spade a spade- not a big spoon.

Funny thing is, despite my 'western tendencies', I love Africa more than any other continent in the world. I could never think of permanently moving out of this beautiful, wonderful place. My heart is knit, my soul entwined to the people,the challenges, passions,cultures and ways of this so-called mysterious 'dark continent'.Plus my skin loves the heat. I hate the cold. I really, really hate the cold!

I am a city boy with a heart for the countryside. I was born and raised in Nairobi, with a few short stints in the village,but I would trade Nairobi for the bushes in a heart beat. I love physical strain and hard work. I would rather chop wood with an axe than sit behind a desk on a computer all day. I have green thumbs. Anything I plant grows. It’s been tried and tested. I must have got it from my grandma!

So what's the point here? Looks can be deceiving. The outward appearance of a person does not necessarily give you the full and true picture of the inner man.

Jesus did not look like God when He walked the earth. He looked like a poor Jew. Infact, he looked like a carpenter-just like His earthly ‘father’ Joseph. There was nothing physical about Him that drew the crowds. He was 'illiterate' and a misfit who questioned the system. He lived like an alien- traveling light and amassing nothing for himself. He looked common, but there was nothing common about the 33 year old Jew who lived to die.

His outward appearance and dress code looked common place and cheap, but His real worth and identity was embodied in who He truly was-God eternal!

Looks can be deceiving. Judgment is easily passed on the most trivial of assumptions- but that does not change the hard facts of stubborn truth. Some of the  greatest books ever written  have the  weirdest or most  bland covers ever. That doesn't change the fact that they are great books!

Most Bibles have one solid color and two simple words on the front cover- HOLY BIBLE.

Ever thought how powerful and significant those two words are? That an eternal author has penned down his memoirs, journals and future plans for mortal flesh to interact with?

All that in a dull ,dusty leather bound book ignored on shelves in millions of homes.

What's the Bible to you? An old black or brown leather-bound  book full of myths and legends or the eternal living truth penned down by God Almighty himself?

On what basis did you judge it by? The cover or the content there in? The verdict is yours.



No comments:

Post a Comment