Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Indwelling Guest

The Holy Spirit is the "forgotten God!"

I am getting big. And I am not the only one who has noticed. My nephew says my chest is pushed out a little more. My ever smiling neighbor friend says he thinks I am trying to walk like The Hulk lately. On my part, I am spending a few extra minutes in the shower- flexing my bulging muscles in the little mirror in my tiny bathroom. I have even named my biceps- the one on the right is called thunder and the one on the left is called- you guessed it,lightening!

So why am I getting buff, you may ask? Two main reasons really. One, I am waking up at 5:30Am in the morning to either go for a 30 minute run or am at the gym pumping iron before the birds know its breakfast time. Somedays I run and somedays I punish my body by raising and lowering ridiculously heavy pieces of metal. All for the reward of being able to justify my peacock swagger,larger pecs and the overall claim of being healthy and in shape. I have always wanted to say that- now I can! I am in shape and in perfect health- eat that world!

The second and more significant reason is that my mom has moved in. Yes, my mom is now living with me and my nephew. She moved in just before Christmas- and by the looks of it- she ain't leaving us any time soon! We don't mind much-me and my cool nephew- but we have noticed a lot of change in our lives lately. Some we like and some I am struggling with.

One thing I like so far about our live-in (maybe permanent?) guest is cleanliness. These days the house is spotless - well, it is when we (me and the nephew) are out. We kind of taint it a bit once we are back in the house for about 15 minutes or so. The truth is- it has never been this clean!

The diet has changed too. Me and my nephew- we agree on several things but one of the top ones is meat. We think that a meal without meat is not fit for a man. My mom thinks different. She thinks the greener your plate, the more your skin glows. I tried to remind her that am an African man who doesn't care for glowing skin. I just want to smell beef or goat or sausages or chicken when I burp. She doesn't seem to like my table manners either.

Now, I have to make sure my ridiculous Afro is combed before I step out- otherwise my dear mon will start hinting that there is quite a number of barber shops just down the road. She also checks out my color coordination when I dress up for church. Says something about image being a big deal.

My nephew also tells me she is also asking a lot about when I plan to settle down and give her grand kids. She gave up asking me to my face - coz when she does, that's when I usually realize I have to go play basketball at church or catch up on my Bible reading.

So I am dressing up a little cleaner ( mom wont let me re-use the t-shirt I wore the other day or the socks I wore the whole of last week) I am also eating a whole lot of rabbit food and wondering why my bowel movements have more than doubled! And of course I am being forced to think about the future a whole lot more. Moms impact at home has been reminding me of the guest in my heart- He who should be governing my heart and soul ever since I gave my life to Christ.

Gods word tells us that once we are born again, He sends the Holy Spirit to dwell in us and " teach us in all things ". The 'Helper' as Jesus called Him, is supposed to help us discern what is good and godly and what is false and evil. He should be slowly but diligently and steadily changing us. Until our image on the outside starts reflecting the change within.

That should be exciting for us right? But how long does our enthusiasm last? After being so used to our sinful ways for years, we don't want to change - do we? We have acquired pet sins and old ways and we don't want to abandon all that. Maybe we want a little change - but not sweeping changes. We are comfortable in the rut of routine- and who is this who wants to push us out of it?

The scary thing is that we can grieve the Holy Spirit. Just like I have been turning away from my mom as she asks me about my future plans and discouraging her from probing into my thoughts and plans, we can grieve the Holy Spirit until we are no longer conscious of His quiet and gentle voice that seeks our own good and the glory of our Father!

Is He the forgotten God in our lives? Do we consciously walk through each day with Him in our hearts? Do we pray for His wisdom and discernment as we read the very Word He inspired men to write?
Are we sensitive to His movements and His work in our souls or have our consciences' been seared by our own lusts and desires that we can no longer feel His gentle hand or heartbroken pleas?

Do we pray with His leading in humility or are we bold and cocky enough to assume we do not need His intercessory role before the very throne of heaven?

I have been thinking about my live-in guest and I have been praying and I am repenting. If it was in His power that Jesus did all the miracles, if it was by His power that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and if He is the seal the Father has placed on my heart as down payment for my Soul and if He inspired men to write the Holy Book-then I better shut up and listen in.
Otherwise I am the dumbest human alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment